Home-based Newborn Care
- Bang AT, Bang RA, Morankar VP, Sontakke PG, Solanki JM. Pneumonia in neonates: can it be managed in the community? Arch Dis Child. 1993 May;68(5 Spec No):550–6
- Bang AT, Bang RA, Baitule SB, Reddy MH, Deshmukh MD. Effect of home-based neonatal care and management of sepsis on neonatal mortality: field trial in rural India. 1999 Dec 4;354(9194):1955–61.
- Bang AT, Bang RA, Baitule S, Deshmukh M, Reddy MH. Burden of morbidities and the unmet need for health care in rural neonates–a prospective observational study in Gadchiroli, India. Indian Pediatr. 2001 Sep;38(9):952–65.
- Bang AT, Bang RA, Reddy MH, Baitule SB, Deshmukh MD, Paul VK, et al. Simple clinical criteria to identify sepsis or pneumonia in neonates in the community needing treatment or referral. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005 Apr;24(4):335–41.
- Wall SN, Lee ACC, Niermeyer S, English M, Keenan WJ, Carlo W, et al. Neonatal resuscitation in low-resource settings: what, who, and how to overcome challenges to scale up? Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2009 Oct;107 Suppl 1:S47–62, S63–4.
- Darmstadt GL, Lee ACC, Cousens S, Sibley L, Bhutta ZA, Donnay F, et al. 60 Million non-facility births: who can deliver in community settings to reduce intrapartum-related deaths? Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2009 Oct;107 Suppl 1:S89–112.
- Friberg IK, Bhutta AZ, Darmstadt GL, Bang A, Cousens S, Baqui AH, et al. Comparing modelled predictions of neonatal mortality impacts using LiST with observed results of community-based intervention trials in South Asia. Int J Epidemiol. 2010; 39 Suppl 1: i11-i20.
- Sharad S. Deshpande. Summary of literature search on toxicity of cotrimoxazole in the neonates. D. March 24, 2012.
- Bang AT, Deshmukh M. Simplified antibiotic regimens for neonatal sepsis—AFRINEST. The Lancet. 2015 Oct;386(10001):1338–9.
Journal of Perinatology
(this journal dedicated entire supplement to HBNC)
- Bang AT, Bang RA. Background of the Field Trial of Home-Based Neonatal Care in Gadchiroli, India. J Perinatol. 2005;25(S1):S3–10.
- Bang AT, Bang RA, Reddy HM, Deshmukh MD. Methods and the Baseline Situation in the Field Trial of Home-Based Neonatal Care in Gadchiroli, India. J Perinatol. 2005;25(S1):S11–7.
- Bang AT, Reddy HM, Baitule SB, Deshmukh MD, Bang RA. The Incidence of Morbidities in a Cohort of Neonates in Rural Gadchiroli, India: Seasonal and Temporal Variation and a Hypothesis About Prevention. J Perinatol. 2005;25(S1):S18–28.
- Bang AT, Paul VK, Reddy HM, Baitule SB. Why Do Neonates Die in Rural Gadchiroli, India? (Part I): Primary Causes of Death Assigned by Neonatologist Based on Prospectively Observed Records. J Perinatol. 2005;25(S1):S29–34.
- Bang AT, Reddy HM, Bang RA, Deshmukh MD. Why Do Neonates Die in Rural Gadchiroli, India? (Part II): Estimating Population Attributable Risks and Contribution of Multiple Morbidities for Identifying a Strategy to Prevent Deaths. J Perinatol. 2005;25(S1):S35–43.
- Reddy MH, Bang AT. How to Identify Neonates at Risk of Death in Rural India: Clinical Criteria for the Risk Approach. J Perinatol. 2005;25(S1):S44–50.
- Bang AT, Bang RA, Reddy HM, Deshmukh MD, Baitule SB. Reduced Incidence of Neonatal Morbidities: Effect of Home-Based Neonatal Care in Rural Gadchiroli, India. J Perinatol. 2005;25(S1):S51–61.
- Bang AT, Bang RA, Stoll BJ, Baitule SB, Reddy HM, Deshmukh MD. Is Home-Based Diagnosis and Treatment of Neonatal Sepsis Feasible and Effective? Seven Years of Intervention in the Gadchiroli Field Trial (1996 to 2003). J Perinatol. 2005;25(S1):S62–71.
- Bang AT, Baitule SB, Reddy HM, Deshmukh MD, Bang RA. Low Birth Weight and Preterm Neonates: Can they be Managed at Home by Mother and a Trained Village Health Worker? J Perinatol. 2005;25(S1):S72–81.
- Bang AT, Bang RA, Baitule SB, Reddy HM, Deshmukh MD. Management of Birth Asphyxia in Home Deliveries in Rural Gadchiroli: The Effect of Two Types of Birth Attendants and of Resuscitating with Mouth-to-Mouth, Tube-Mask or Bag–Mask. J Perinatol. 2005;25(S1):S82–91.
- Bang AT, Reddy HM, Deshmukh MD, Baitule SB, Bang RA. Neonatal and Infant Mortality in the Ten Years (1993 to 2003) of the Gadchiroli Field Trial: Effect of Home-Based Neonatal Care. J Perinatol. 2005;25(S1):S92–107.
- Bang AT, Bang RA, Reddy HM. Home-Based Neonatal Care: Summary and Applications of the Field Trial in Rural Gadchiroli, India (1993 to 2003). J Perinatol. 2005;25(S1):S108–22.
- Bang R, Bang A, SEARCH Team. Why Women Hide Them: Rural Women’s Viewpoints on Reproductive Tract Infections. 1989 Jan 14;69:37-30.
- Bang RA, Bang AT, Baitule M, Choudhary Y, Sarmukaddam S, Tale O. High prevalence of gynaecological diseases in rural Indian women. 1989 Jan 14;1(8629):85–8.
- Bang R, Bang A. Commentary on a community-based approach to reproductive health care. Society for Education, Action and Research in Community Health Team. Suppl Int J Gynecol Obstet. 1989;3:125–9.
- Bang A, Bang R. WCH RATHER THAN MCH. The Lancet. 1989 Nov;334(8672):1158.
- Bang AT, Bang RA. ‘Women’s perception of white vaginal discharge: Ethnographic data from rural Maharashtra’ in Gittelsohn J, Bentley ME, Pelto PJ, Nag M, Pachauri S, Harrison AD et al (eds) Listening to Women Talk About their Health: Issues and Evidence from India. New Delhi; Ford Foundation: 79-94.
- Bang AT, Bang RA, Tale O, Sontakke P, Solanki J, Wargantiwar R, et al. Reduction in pneumonia mortality and total childhood mortality by means of community-based intervention trial in Gadchiroli, India. 1990 Jul 28;336(8709):201–6.
- Bang AT, Bang RA. Breath Counter: a new device for household diagnosis of childhood pneumonia. Indian J Pediatr. 1992 Feb;59(1):79–84.
- Bang AT, Bang RA. Diagnosis of causes of childhood deaths in developing countries by verbal autopsy: suggested criteria. The SEARCH Team. Bull World Health Organ. 1992;70(4):499–507.
- Bang AT, Bang RA, Sontakke PG. Management of childhood pneumonia by traditional birth attendants. The SEARCH Team. Bull World Health Organ. 1994;72(6):897–905.
- Child Mortality in Maharashtra | Economic and Political Weekly [Internet]. Available from: http://www.epw.in/journal/2002/49/special-articles/child-mortality-maharashtra.html
- Bang RA, Bang AT, Reddy MH, Deshmukh MD, Baitule SB, Filippi V. Maternal morbidity during labour and the puerperium in rural homes and the need for medical attention: A prospective observational study in Gadchiroli, India. 2004 Mar;111(3):231–8.
Tobacco and Alcohol Control
- Bang AT, Bang RA. Community participation in research and action against alcoholism. World Health Forum. 1991;12(1):104–9.
- Bang R. India: Action against sale of alcohol. The Lancet. 1992 Sep;340(8821):720.
- Tobacco vs Development | Economic and Political Weekly [Internet]. Available from: http://www.epw.in/journal/2013/05/commentary/tobacco-vs-development.html
- Anderson I, Robson B, Connolly M, Al-Yaman F, Bjertness E, King A et al. Indigenous and tribal peoples’ health (The Lancet–Lowitja Institute Global Collaboration): a population study. The Lancet 2016; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)00345-7
Non Communicable diseases
- Deshmukh SA, Kalkonde YV, Deshmukh MD, Bang AA, Bang AT. Healthcare Seeking Behavior for Back and Joint Pain in Rural Gadchiroli, India: A Population-Based Cross-Sectional Study. Indian J Community Med. 2014;39(4):229–34.
- Kalkonde YV, Deshmukh MD, Sahane V, Puthran J, Kakarmath S, Agavane V, et al. Stroke Is the Leading Cause of Death in Rural Gadchiroli, India A Prospective Community-Based Study. Stroke. 2015 Jul 1;46(7):1764–8.
- Kalkonde YV, Sahane V, Deshmukh MD, Nila S, Mandava P, Bang A. High Prevalence of Stroke in Rural Gadchiroli, India: A Community-Based Study. Neuroepidemiology 2016;46:235-9.
- Lagoo J, Wilkinson J, Thacker J, Deshmukh M, Khorgade S, Bang R. Impact of anemia on surgical outcomes: innovative interventions in resource-poor settings. World J Surg. 2012 Sep;36(9):2080–9.
- Sundararajan R, Kalkonde Y, Gokhale C, Greenough PG, Bang A. Barriers to Malaria Control among Marginalized Tribal Communities: A Qualitative Study. PLOS ONE. 2013 Dec 20;8(12):e81966.
- GAPPS Expert Group on Community Based Strategies and Constraints, George A, Young M, Bang A, Chan KY, Rudan I, et al. Setting implementation research priorities to reduce preterm births and stillbirths at the community level. PLoS Med. 2011;8(1):e1000380.
- Anand Bang. Use of oral Cotrimoxazole and injectable Gentamicin in module 6 & 7 of ASHA program.
- Abhay Bang. Regarding the co-trimoxazole or amoxy issue: Response to Dr. Shyam Ashtekar and Dr. Jagannath Dixit. A Letter.
- Daulaire N, Bang A, Tomson G, Kalyango JN, Cars O. Universal Access to Effective Antibiotics is Essential for Tackling Antibiotic Resistance. The Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics. 2015 Jun 1;43(S3):17–21.
- Bang A. Health insurance, assurance, and empowerment in India. The Lancet. 2015 Dec;386(10011):2372–3.
Articles Written by others
- Shiffman J. Issue attention in global health: the case of newborn survival (View point). The Lancet. 2010 Jun;375(9730):2045–9.
- D’Silva J. Expert views: what the next Indian government should do for health and healthcare. BMJ. 2014;348:g2479